Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Why I find dentistry is a rewarding career choice

I have had the pleasure of working in the dental field for 17+ years. To me it is such a rewarding career in so ways. There are many aspects of the dental office. The diversity makes for a great career because you can choose so many different jobs in this field.
You could become a dentist, hygienist, dental assistant, sterilization assistant, office manager, scheduling coordinator, lab tech. Some people in the the dental field often go on to be teachers or lecture at dental conventions in their areas of expertise. 
When I was in high school one of my best friends father was a dentist and offered me a job sterilizing after school. I tried a few other jobs after high school but dentistry was always in the back of my mind. I just knew that was where I wanted to be. I decided to go through the dental assisting program at our local community college and have been in the field ever since. 
After graduating from the assisting program I assisted for a few years and decided that I really loved the interactions of the front office .
 I find that the relationships with the patients at the front desk is one of my favorite parts of being in dentistry. The fact that you can bond with them from the first phone call is rewarding in itself. To be able to put people at ease about their visit to our office if they are having high anxiety is one of my favorites. Just to know that you can make a difference in someone's life even in a small way is a wonderful feeling. 
I have seen so many changes in peoples lives through dentistry. I have met people who have not been into the dentist in 20 years start coming in on a regular basis because of the work they have had done changes the way they feel about themselves.

Shelley 
 Front office for Dr. Calvin Kim and Dr. John Cho


No comments:

Post a Comment